DETERMINATION – ABILITY – COURAGE – JOY – CONFIDENCE – INDEPENDENCE!!!
The Centre & School - Operations
We provide rehabilitation and boarding facilities to disabled and deaf children from the ages of 3 to 20 years. The Centre works in conjunction with the King George VI School (a government school) and takes children from all over the country. It is the only secondary education facility in Zimbabwe for disabled and deaf children and the only such primary school in southern Zimbabwe. We also have a strong vocational training program for senior students.
Never Give Up!
To positively touch upon and add value to the lives of disabled children in Zimbabwe. To develop the strength & skills of each child and to help them reach their full potential.
To provide education, rehabilitation and independent-living training for physically disabled children from all over Zimbabwe.
Many of our students are now orphans or come from families with low to nil incomes. They suffer from a whole range of disabilities which are not all just physical. The catch phrase ‘Orphans & Vulnerable Children’ (OVCs) is a perfect description of our students and yet the words that come to mind when describing the KGVI family are:
DETERMINATION – ABILITY – COURAGE – JOY – CONFIDENCE INDEPENDENCE!!!
Areas of Operation
Throughout Zimbabwe. Headquarters in Bulawayo
KGVI is a Non Governmental Organisation registered with the department of Social Welfare. It is a welfare organisation reliant on donations. The Centre is managed by 2 directors, supervised by a Management Board made up of prominent Bulawayo citizens.
- Advocacy work for disability rights in Zimbabwe through music and video
- Championing rights of disabled children to be given access to education, including tertiary
- Production of national sign language dictionary for Zimbabwe and promotion of sign language
- Teaching of sign language to teachers in training at United College of Education
- Spearheading of research programme into more effective education for deaf students
- Community based rehabilitation in Bulawayo urban